Sunday, May 10, 2015

HOWTO - Install ceni network manager on Raspberry Pi


First of all, the custom ARM distribution of Kali Linux comes loaded with Network-Manager, which is the default way of doing network configurations in Kali Linux.

In my application for the Raspberry Pi, I only wanted to use the command line environment over a SSH session, but still be able to do a lot of network configuration, this seemed a problem with network-manager because of the fact that you couldn't easily manage it in the command line environment.

In addition to the default Debian-Style network management with the /etc/network/interfaces file and ifup/ifdown scripts, I wanted something which was easier to manage, perhaps something with some kind of a GUI. (I already hear you say GUI in command line??) Yes it's possible, Linux has something called curses interface, in which some applications are in the possibility to display a text based GUI.

For the Kali Linux distribution for the Raspberry Pi, which I suspect that runs on Debian under the hood, I came up with wicd and ceni as replacement network managers, I selected to go with ceni.

Now before I could install another network manager, I first needed to get rid of the old network manager, to remove enter the following:


  • apt-get remove network-manager
  • apt-get autoremove


To get Ceni, download the ceni Debian package at Siduction repository:

Install the downloaded package with the following command:
  • dpkg -i ceni_2.38_all.deb
   
The installation will generate some error because of missing dependencies, to correct this, execute the following to install the missing dependencies:
  • apt-get -f install
  
To launch ceni, just type:
  • ceni

No comments:

Post a Comment